Wednesday, October 27, 2010

An Advertisers Dream girl

I think I may just be an advertisers dream. When they are sitting around the table having a big pow wow over some brilliant new campaign, I am sure it is my face they see. I reckon this one will really get her, they snicker to each other with a greedy gleam in their eye. Why I hear you ask, do I think this? Well its simple- advertising really works on me.
For instance: driving along singing a song, thinking about what I have to do today etc etc. “hello!” what’s that , a billboard advertising KFC. Well now all I feel like is KFC. I could possibly perish this very minute, such is my new craving for the previously unthought about kfc. Even though I know there is a snowflakes chance in hell I will actually go and buy KFC, the thought has been planted in my head- hence advertising works.
Then flicking through catalogues (like  heroin to a drug addict)  I see the following statement in a Target catalogue- “Happiness is dresses” Oh. My. God. It’s been there all along, staring me in the face. All these years searching for elusive happiness and all I had to do was wear a dress!! Right, off to buy some flirty, fun little frocks . I mean, my happiness is at stake after all. .What husband could possible deny his wife buying happiness for goodness sake.
Now another form of advertising that is guaranteed to suck me in with the force of a Dyson vacuum cleaner (wow , Dyson advertising obviously made an impression somewhere along the line- oh and I own one and its awesome!) is grocery store catalogues. They beckon me with their ‘specials’ this, and their ‘1/2 price’ that’s. Now even if I have absolutely no need in the world for what they are peddling I still buy it. Justification? Its just such good value!!  Wow, Pedigree Pal dog food, buy 200 get 6000 free. Yes please. No I don’t have a dog, but gee that’s great value.  Oh what about 3 tins of condensed milk for $600, a saving of $3 . Well that’s just the very thing I need. You know how well weight watchers and condensed milk go together!  Hang on, whats that I see?  Eau de fermented yak sweat parfum is on sale for …wait for it….. half price. I start salivating. Who cares if I smell like a fetid yak. It was half price!!!!!!!
See I have a problem. The word sale to me is like the words ‘free tequila shots’ to uni students (hey its my blog- I have licence to stereotype and generalise) . Whether I need whats on offer or not, if there is a saving to be had, chances are  I will buy it.  And that’s exactly why informercials are banned in my house. Otherwise I would have every exercise machine, cooking appliance, acne, youth and haemmoroid cream and life insurance funeral plan known to man- and one darn impressive steak knife collection!

4 comments:

  1. hahahah gotta love the fermented yuk sweat parfum that would be a lovely smell. but i agree with u about seeing something advertised then instantly wanting it even tho i have no intentions of buying it. they r very sneaky indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the opposite - Advertising has no effect on me. I can even tune out complete commercial breaks unless I'm really tired.
    Husband and I will be watching TV and he will say something in reference to what he just saw on the tv I am staring at. I will say "what ARE you talking about?" he says "that ad, you just saw it". But I didn't see it. Strangest thing, my mind just shuts down during the breaks. Only some things get through the tough shell. But I am usually cynical about every sale I see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah ive been know to be sucked into buying those exercise machines that promise you a fitter more toned body after only 3 minutes use a day only to end up looking the same and the said machine is sitting in the corner taking up room and gathering dust, guess im just a sucker. As for those food commercials and billboards i can drive past them or see them on tv and not have that urge to go out and buy a big bucket of kfc thank god. Good point though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah I hear ya. The only thing sader is that my husband and I fight over the catalogues, so there is no hope for us. We tried to make an agreement 'no more stuff' but you know how hard it is to kick this addiction.

    ReplyDelete