Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Trip Down Memory Lane


Every so often you can be going about your life when boom! You are hit with memories so powerful they take your breath away. That happened to me this past week. My mother in law needed surgery which was scheduled last week at the Mater in Brisbane. The Mater in Brisbane where Elijah entered the world in an extremely scary fashion just over 6.5 years ago. I hadn’t really given it much thought, I guess the surgery had occupied my mind.

Our first stop was to check my father in law into the hotel where he would stay for two nights. It just happened to be the same motel we went to when I was discharged from hospital 3 days after giving birth. While it wasn’t the same room, it was identical to the one we stayed in. The bed where I lay down and sobbed my heart out because I was no longer in the same building as my child, because It felt one thousand types of wrong to be separated from him. The shower where I cried again each night having to leave him again and where I discovered that crying in the shower does amazing things for milk supply! Even  though I could be by his side in minutes if something went wrong if I ran my fastest (trust me, turtles have nothing to fear even with me at my fastest) And  I knew I would find superhuman speed if my child were in trouble. But it still wasn’t the same as being only a one minute lift ride away.

We then walked over to the hospital, up and down the hills we walked each day all those years ago, me with an esky bag of expressed  milk slung over my shoulder .No wonder I lost so much weight on my stay!! Past the Coffee Club where we would meet with friends who came to visit. My mind always half on the conversation and half on wondering how my baby would be when I got to see him, Praying there would be no deterioration. I was always so grateful for the human interaction and time out from the constant alarming of monitors, but a big part of me was anxious and couldn’t wait to get back to the NICU. My greatest fear was that something would happen while I was off having a coffee of all things. 

Later in the day we walked to the little IGA that we visited each afternoon to buy something yummy. In my memory it always seemed much further away. We drove past the Coles that we went to, to find an Easter present for our child who was still meant to be safely in utero over Easter. He caught us by surprise. I remembered thinking we had driven for ages and were so very far away from the hospital. I almost had a panic attack and had to leave, grabbing the nearest stuffed bunny on the way. To make it worse the Doctor rang on our way back. I feared the worst, but he was just ringing to check in with us as he had missed us on his rounds. Seeing it this time- Coles was only about 2 blocks away. It’s funny what stress can do to your perspective.

I saw the street I walked to our new accommodation. By myself, unsure of exactly where I was going, loaded down with everything I would need until Allan arrived that night. I walked that street and I quite possibly felt like the saddest girl in the world. I am a person who has never embraced change and here I was everything so up in the air and I was moving again, when all I wanted was for something to stay the same.

This time though, I saw all these places and walked these streets with that little  scrap of a baby holding my hand as a healthy, beautiful, vital 6.5 year old. I showed him where he was born and where his life was saved. I joked with him in the car on the way down about why he felt the need to be born so darn early. His reply : “I was bored. There was no I Pad in your tummy”. Such a funny little man grew from that tiny, tiny human .

 I wished I could go back in time to that woman, to those parents who had such a rough and unfair start to parenthood and show them what the future would be. Tell them that it would be so very hard, and they would see things they could never unsee, that would bring tears to their eyes for many years to come. Tell them that, yes, they would be left with nightmares and fears, but these would pass eventually. There would also be some  scars- some of which would never fade. I would hug that woman who sat day by day beside a humidicrib not feeling like a real mother, waiting every day hoping today would be the day she got to have a cuddle, wondering what she had done wrong to cause this, feeling so numb and the guilt that numbness caused . I would show her a little way down the track, not very far at all, the moment when she would look at her baby, the first time without all the monitors attached,  and her heart would explode with such complete and overwhelming love for this child she had created and she finally felt  she was a mother.

But I would also tell them that it would all be ok. Their baby would be one of the lucky little miracles. He would avoid all the horrible things that so often go hand in hand with such prematurity- brain bleeds, blindness, infection, learning difficulties, death. He would be slow to start but he would catch up and surpass every milestone. He would be amazing and very much alive and very much loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment